Hello comrades, Morris here.
For the better part of the last decade, I've woken up every morning with a single thought on my mind: is today the day the hammer falls? I'm sorry to say that question has finally been answered in the affirmative.
Here's the announcement made today by the Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration:
To reduce the risk to public health through addiction to nicotine and nicotine poisoning, the Australian Government intends to ask the Governor-General in Council to make regulations from 1 July 2020 prohibiting the importation of e-cigarettes containing vaporiser nicotine (nicotine liquids and salts) and nicotine-containing refills unless on prescription from a doctor.
The Australian Government is banning nicotine imports starting 1 July. This is your very last chance to import nicotine e-liquids into Australia. The "unless on prescription" part is a total red herring, it won't help you at all.
- The Australian Government will block all importation of nicotine products from July 1, 2020.
- Vapoureyes New Zealand will turn off the ability for Australian customers to order on likely Sunday 21 or Monday 22 June (more on that in a second).
- We are working with NZ Post and DHL to ensure all orders placed before the shipping deadline are received in Australia before the prohibition is enacted.
From 1 July 2020, any shipment containing nicotine entering Australia will be confiscated, and the customer who ordered the nicotine will be fined up to $220,000. That isn't a misprint — the maximum penalty for importing nicotine into Australia will be two hundred and twenty thousand dollars. Just so you know, taking a steaming shit on the front steps of Parliament House attracts a much smaller fine.
If all of the risk and financial penalties were aimed at Vapoureyes, I would take that risk without any hesitation whatsoever and continue shipping into Australia - but the risk isn't on us as the sender, it's on you as the receiver, and that is simply unacceptable. We therefore have no option but to completely suspend deliveries to Australia in the days leading up to July 1st.
Oscar Wilde once said “Everything is going to be fine in the end. If it's not fine, it's not the end.”
And he's right, this isn't fine, and this isn't the end. This prohibition, as fucked as it is, is due for review in twelve months. I know that three hundred and sixty-five-fucking-days is a heck of a long time for someone to go without nicotine, and many of you may go back to smoking in that time, but this isn't the end.
I'm completely confident that before long, cooler heads will prevail. We intend to spend every ounce of time, money, and energy we have fighting this ridiculous overreach to return a modicum of sanity to our beloved Australia. This is an insane situation and insane situations cannot hold, so we'll do whatever we can do to make it end.
For the moment we'll continue dispatching orders over the weekend and right up until the deadline. Our team is working twelve hour days, potentially eleven days straight, in order to get every single last bottle of e-liquid we can to the people who need it the most.
We'll be assessing the backlog of orders on an hourly basis, and depending on the number of orders in the queue and our ability to dispatch before the deadline, we'll turn off shipping to Australia on Vapoureyes NZ on Monday or Tuesday. I can't tell you exactly when the site will be switched off, but I can guarantee that every single order placed before the cut-off will be shipped.
Please understand the seriousness of this situation, and don't let yourself be lulled into a false sense of security by people who haven't properly understood today's announcement.
This is absolutely happening, there is nothing that anybody can do to stop it, there are no loopholes, and if you get caught importing nicotine after July 1 (with or without a prescription) you risk receiving an absolutely breathtaking financial penalty.
Pardon my language, but this is an absolutely fucked situation and we will not stop fighting until this insane prohibition has been overturned - you have my word.
- Can I import nicotine if I have a script?
- No, you cannot import nicotine under any circumstance, even if you have a prescription. The prescription loophole only covers nicotine products that are specifically approved for human therapeutic use, and the new poisons schedule limits the definition of those products to "oro-mucosal and transdermal" applications — i.e., gums and patches.
- Can I get in trouble if I try?
- Yes, with potential fines up to $220,000.
- Will you continue shipping to Australia?
- Will you continue shipping elsewhere?
- Yes, we will continue shipping to New Zealand and the world.
- What now?
- Now we get angry, get organised, and get our god damn freedoms back. In the coming months we'll be committing a huge amount of resources to challenging this outrageous decision in every way possible. We're not taking this lying down, and neither should you. Stay subscribed to our mailing list, because we'll be sending regular updates with information about how you can join the fight.